Time, time, time, what time is it?
I happen to be one of those persons that look to the world of advancements to be leading our current watch wearers to the next generations of watch wearers being the smartwatch generation.
I recently took to observing the general public’s wrist in
- Male or Female.
- Are they wearing a wrist watch?
- If so, which wrist are they wearing it on?
- What style: Analog or Digital?
Thought of “Why” might have you wondering why I was making such a defined observation? Not that any of this really matters, but it allowed me to see facts for myself, haven read an article about why men, in this case should consider wearing something of a throw-back when it comes to a watch.
Well, after reading a report that stated, “Seven Reason to Wear a Watch”, gave me a different prospective on the whole watch wearing ordeal, I started rethinking some original thoughts.
In this article it stated seven defined reasons that it was to a male advantage (in this case) to be one that wears a watch.
- Watches are Convenient.
- A quick glance towards your wrist is much classier way to check the time than contorting your body as you dive into one or more pocket, trying to find your phone to pull it out and start the time search.
- Watches are Functional
- Our military has synchronized maneuvers during the war, while they have been used in depths of the ocean by divers and high up in the sky by aviators.
- Watches Provide Simplicity
- They are powered by ingenious mechanical clockwork technology the pre-dates electricity. Smartphone on the other hand would have a short life out in the field after a day or two.
- Watches Signal Style
- Plain a simple, compliments. Today’s smartwatch designs are still trying to catch up on the style in the design area while keeping the full functioning watch working.
- It was stated that men only see three main accessories decorating their hands: 1. a nice watch, 2. a stylish pair of cuff links, 3. a simple wedding band (if married).
- Watches Embodies Craftsmanship
- Now this one I have researched and I find the answer to be nearly the same for this same in that a quality, not massed produced takes about 3 different individual 2 to 6 months to complete start to finish based on brand name. For most, being hand build, they are up on the longer timeframe for completion.
- Watches Makes Great Heirlooms
- This one I have witness myself, long before looking to do anything with a business of sorts. My brother-in-law and nephew have been into watches, quality, design and passing them down as heirlooms for decades. And with declining health my brother-in-law has put everything in place to ensure that his collection is passed on and cared for.
- Watches Help Create a Relationship with Time
- I would love to be able to bottle this and sale to the many young men I see today having a problem to be on time, as in keeping appointments, dates, etc.
Note: From RMRS (Real Men Real Style)
With all this being covered, I had to take a step or two back and ask myself, are smartwatches actually going to be a dominate factor in the coming years with the seven factors that were covered in this article and if the watch could or would be viewed in this demand.
You see, I have found that anyone can pick out a watch, put it on and offer someone the time when asked. However, it takes a lover of this technology in a way that will respect it in the manner that it addresses it. It for that person that has studied more than the owner’s manual to set the time. To have a watch that becomes an heirloom would need to be for someone that cherishes the craftsmanship that went into this watch.
So to say your classic heirloom watches, be it analog, digital, smartwatch whatever, will not me massed produced, although the technology in it may have it a bit pricey. What will be signs of that heirloom will be style and design for starters.
To show some life to this article, it was noted that “The:5TH” was the brand that was sent for a review and offered as just one of many example.
$150.00 The London Vesper
$165.00 Baja Cortez
$145.00 Bilbao – Gold
Not that they are pricey but very stylish and pronounced in a crowd of watches.
Bottom-line, be on the lookout to for what’s to be coming to your wrist in the coming years. While you may think you know what you are going to see, don’t be surprised when you look and you are thrown for a loop looking back into the past.